As one of Ireland’s longest-running communications companies, Carr Communications has become a household brand name for media, public relations, communications, and business / management training and development. Our reputation for handling media crises and preparing people for media has become such that other Public Relations companies bring their clients to our TV and radio studios to help them prepare responses for difficult issues and interviews.
To do great work and deliver outstanding results for people and organisations we love working with and whose values are in line with our own. To make a difference.
- Alessandro CragliaEU Project ExecutiveAs an Italian born in the UK, Alessandro learnt both languages from a very young age and has lived in Ireland for the past 5 years. Thanks to this he is fluent in both English and Italian, as well as having a high level of French and some Spanish. He studied at Trinity College Dublin, and wrote his thesis on the trends in youth voting habits in the UK since 1974 and the effects of employment, education and regional distribution on electoral participation. His main interests are in economic and social policy, contemporary politics, quantitative research and societal trends. He has worked on a number of H2020 funded EU projects including DARWIN, PASSME INPREP and Factory2Fit. In his spare time, he enjoys cooking, skiing, reading and kayaking. Favourite movie: Chicken Run Favourite food: Wild Boar Pasta Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Don’t rub your eyes after chopping chilli
- Alison HandSenior ConsultantAlison is an organisational development consultant, facilitator and executive coach with experience nationally and internationally. She holds a degree in Social Science, a diploma in Executive Coaching and a diploma in HRM. She is a keen tennis player and when not on court she can be found wandering around art galleries or rummaging in record stores to feed her very expensive 2nd hand vinyl habit. An experienced broadcaster, she has presented and produced radio programmes for Dublin City FM and Tokyo’s largest FM station J-Wave. Favourite Movie: Casablanca Favourite Food: Indian/Moroccan/Korean and anything that goes well with 160 gram vinyl Advice she once got that he wishes she hadn’t ignored: “Whatever you say, say nothing.”
- Andrew SmithEU Project ExecutiveAndrew is a member of Carr Communications’ public relations team and specialises in providing communication support for European Union funded projects. With an undergraduate degree in Politics and Anthropology from Maynooth University and a post-graduate diploma in Public Relations from the Fitzwilliam Institute, he is a keen follower of politics and current affairs – something his friends tell him not to mention to strangers. He has experience in both corporate communications and public affairs in multiple sectors including property, hospitality, retail and technology. Andrew has also worked with a start-up in Singapore and often questions why he left this particular role, being paid to show tourists and backpackers around Singapore’s nightlife scene. A lover of pretty much every sport, Andrew is most at home shouting instructions to managers and players on TV who can’t hear him. And wouldn’t listen if they could. Favourite movie: The Departed Favourite food: Roast chicken with all the trimmings Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Are you sure you want to study anthropology?
- Karl ColemanAccount ExecutiveKarl holds a Master’s degree in Public Affairs and Political Communication (MA) from the Dublin Institute of Technology and a degree in Law and Politics (BA) from Dublin City University. Karl has a varied background working in a family photography studio on and off for the past ten years. He has a particular interest in Public Affairs, having interned with John Lahart TD. Other interests of Karl include digital media, video production and event management. In 2016 Karl came up with and created an age card app that allowed participants to show their ID via their phone, something he has not stopped talking about since. Favourite movie: Shrek Favourite food: fava beans and a nice chianti Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Radiation makes you sick, it doesn’t give you superpowers.
- Alan HallFinancial ControllerAlan is a Bachelor of Commerce graduate from UCD and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2007. He has management experience in practice, banking and industry. In 2014, he completed an MBA in Trinity College which involved working with the senior management team of a number of companies with different challenges and in different stages of their development. Outside work, Alan still valiantly attempts to play league football and has various other interests including scuba diving, music, Irish history and the odd bit of gardening in the spring. Favourite movie: Liverpool FC: The Story Of The Kop Stand (only available in VHS) Favourite food: Sausages Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Anything my mother said for the first 21 years of his life
- Jillian GarveySenior Account ManagerJillian has worked in consumer and corporate public relations for over 10 years working in Ireland, Australia and New Zealand before returning to her beloved homeland in 2015. Jillian joined the Carr Communications teams in 2018 and is a senior consultant with extensive experience in strategic and crisis communications. During this time she has worked with a variety of people and organisations at home and abroad to identify, design, and implement solutions to tough organisational and communications challenges. She is a generalist with areas of specialist expertise and interest in communications and organisational strategy, media relations and public affairs, risk and crisis management, stakeholder engagement, and social/digital engagement. Jillian has worked with a variety of organisations, from government agencies to interest groups, and from businesses to not-for-profits. Favourite movie: Steel Magnolias Favourite food: Anything Japanese! Advice she once got that she wishes she hadn’t ignored; When someone shows you who they really are, believe them the first time.
- Meadhbh CostelloEuropean Project ManagerSince joining the Carr Communications' European Projects Team in 2017, Meadhbh has managed the communications and dissemination activities of a number of EU funded research and innovation projects. She works directly with international partners to create impactful communications strategies to engage key stakeholders and the public in the story and successes of the projects. Hailing from Cork, Meadhbh has long had an interested in European affairs. While studying at Trinity College Dublin for her degree in Philosophy, Political Science, Economics and Sociology, Meadhbh served as Director of the European Youth Parliament Ireland. After graduating, she worked as a Policy Analyst focusing on European policy in one of Ireland’s leading think tanks. Prior to joining Carr Communications, Meadhbh served as a Seconded National Expert in the Office of the Prime Minister of Estonia for Estonia’s Presidency of the Council of the European Union, responsible for communications and research activities. In her spare time, Meadhbh can be found listening to some of her favourite podcasts, or on the dancefloors across Ireland and Europe taking part in swing dancing and jazz events. Favourite movie: The Heat Favourite food: Coke Zero Advice she once got she wishes she hadn’t ignored: Learn to drive
- Aoife CoonaghHead of Career Development Services
Aoife Coonagh joined Carr Communications in early 2006 as Head of Career Development Services. Aoife has over 25 years of HR, recruitment and training experience. She has a track record of achievement in management roles spanning learning and development, executive development and HR management consultancy in Aer Lingus and AXA Insurance.
One of the services provided by her Careers Unit in Carr Communications – Job Interview Preparation – is the best known and longest-established of its kind in the country. A highly effective facilitator and executive coach, Aoife and her team’s reputation for helping people prepare for interviews is unequalled; from Senior Executives in the private sector being interviewed for Board and Leadership positions; senior civil servants going for the full range of promotional interviews including TLAC; the full range of medical interviews up to Consultant; to graduates going for their first ever interview.
As Head of Career Development Services, she designs and delivers a range of HR development programmes with organisations including: Career Planning; Career Progression; High Potential and Talent Management; Management Development Programmes; Performance Management; Competency Framework design and development; and Outplacement programmes.
She has provided development programmes at all levels ranging from individual skills development – Personal development planning and Coaching - to company-wide training and development programmes such as customer service, quality process improvement and management development. Aoife is also accredited in EQi Emotional Intelligence and MBTI Myers Briggs.
- Donal CroninDirectorDonal is one of the most recognised communications and training experts in Ireland. He has led the development of our Behavioural Economics based offers providing clients with proven, tested and added-value approaches to communication by applying a scientific understanding of human behaviour. Over the last 30 years plus Donal has provided strategic communications consultancy and training to the country’s leading organisations including Irish Life, Bank of Ireland, EPA, SEAI and AIB. Favourite movie: Blade Runner Favourite food: Caviston’s chocolate cake Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Use good hair products
- John DunphySenior ConsultantJohn is a Senior Communications Consultant delivering training in the areas of Leadership, Resilience, Self-management, Presentation skills, Careers and Personal Development. Also a practising Sport Psychology Consultant, John works with sports teams and individuals at both international and local levels in areas such as Teamwork, Leadership, Communications, Focus, Goal Setting, Anxiety, Mental Toughness and Expertise in Sport. In his spare time, John is a qualified basketball coach and coaches a number of basketball teams from local underage level, to regional and international feeder teams. Favourite movie: Inception Favourite food: Ravioli Advice he once got that he wished he hadn’t ignored: The importance of incrementally saving
- Johnny FallonAccount DirectorA proud Longford man Johnny has worked in PR and Public Affairs for over 20 years. With a focus on strategic and crisis communication he has advised clients in the public and private sector and is much sought after as a trainer for media and presentation skills. He has written a number of books and academic papers on Irish politics and is a regular contributor to TV and radio. He is an avid user of social media for which he has won awards and been listed as a policy influencer. For some still unexplained reason he thought it was a good idea to write his autobiography aged 30 and claims the dubious credit of being one of the few people outside of premier league footballers to do so. He is married to Annette and has two children who say he talks ‘a lot of boring stuff’. Favourite movie: Star Wars Favourite food: Is wine a food? Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Grow up
- Tony HughesManaging DirectorTony Hughes oversees the development of the business and supports the delivery of major projects. Tony has particular expertise in the management of complex human resource environments and supporting organisations through periods of significant change. As a consequence he is fascinated by the potential application and impact of behavioural science based interventions. Tony provides consultancy services for many organisations and he has added value to, and led, many European and National projects. He has successfully advised many Chief Executives on how to develop their organisations to improve overall performance and these interventions are increasingly being based on the core principles of behavioural economics. Favourite movie: The God Father Part 2 Favourite food: Sashimi Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Once you stop playing rugby you will regret it for ever
- Amy HumeBehavioural Economics ConsultantBorn and bred in Edinburgh, she has a first class Honours degree in Accounting and Economics from the University of Strathclyde, where she also donned as a part-time pizza chef and tour guide. She completed an MSc in Behavioural Science for Management at the University of Stirling. During the Masters programme, she developed a particular interest in self-control and how people engage in strategies to help reduce tendencies to procrastinate, as well as various policy issues ranging from the framing of New Psychoactive Substances as “legal highs”, testing a manipulation of the framing of the “Brexit” question, and changes to the processing of Vehicle Excise Duty. Key research areas include; positively influencing employees to become more engaged in their organisation, increasing sales by helping customers make the right decision for them, improving employee performance and the impact of framing different messages to achieve audience impact. In her spare time, Amy enjoys hosting dinner parties, baking and watching her favourite sports – Formula 1 and rugby. Favourite movie: Notting Hill Favourite food: Profiteroles Advice she once got that she wishes she hadn’t ignored: Don’t run out in front of traffic
- Eimear HurleyHead of PREimear has worked with Carr Communications since 2007 and was appointed the company’s Head of PR in 2017. With almost fifteen years’ experience in PR, Eimear leads a team of consultants in the delivery of high-impact communications strategies to a range of clients in the public and private sector. In her role, Eimear works closely with Senior Management teams to scope, develop and deliver a strategic approach to communications. She is also on the Board of the Dublin City Volunteer Centre which helps individuals to find meaningful opportunities to volunteer and to build the capacity for not-for-profit organisations to involve volunteers in their work. A proud Limerick and Munster woman, married to Simon and living in Dun Laoghaire, she’s mammy to two small children, Sam (4) and Evie (6 months). They are her best achievement yet. Favourite movie: Munster the Brave and the Faithful 2006 Heineken Cup Final, Official Commemorative DVD Favourite food: Eggs Benedict from Harry’s Café in Dun Laoghaire Advice she once got that she wishes she hadn’t ignored: Wash tan off after three hours (circa early 2000s. I’ve embraced my paleness since then.)
- Anthony KellyProject DirectorAnthony has extensive management and business development experience in a number of different industries. Anthony’s main interest is in Behavioural Science. Anthony advises clients on the implementation of behavioural insights, which consistently deliver highly impactful outcomes. In particular, he applies this science in organisational messaging, internal communications, employee engagement and operational effectiveness. With a background in law and politics, Anthony also provides strategic communications advice to a number of senior politicians. Originally from Ireland’s most incredible county - Kerry, Anthony hosts and facilitates high profile events for Carr Communications’ clients and has written for RTÉ Radio One’s award-winning Callan’s Kicks. Wherever Anthony is spotted, his beloved sausage dog, Jesse, is never far behind. Favourite movie: The Dark Knight Favourite food: Indian Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Smile. It confuses people.
- Marie LynchAccount ManagerMarie hails from Laois and has worked with Carr Communications in their PR division since 2015. Marie has a varied background in communications and public relations which gives her a unique insight and skill set which she offers to Carr Communications’ clients. She has particular experience in social media, stakeholder engagement, media relations, event management and internal communications. On a day-to-day basis Marie manages and assists key clients with their PR strategy, social media strategy and digital content creation, media relations, delivery of communications campaigns, event management, media monitoring. Marie holds a degree in English, Sociology and Politics from NUI Galway, a PRII Diploma in Public relations and in a past life Marie qualified as a beauty therapist which she completed alongside her full-time work as a pastime, as she always had an interest in this field. In her spare time Marie enjoys eating food and drinking way too much coffee, attending way too many concerts, reading, travel, running and Crossfit. Marie needs a clone to handle her social life! Favourite movie: Warrior Favourite food: Roast chicken cooked by my mum followed by her apple tart Advice she once got that he wishes she hadn’t ignored: Never leave college
- Iseult O’DohertyIseult heads up the Business and Management Development Department. Iseult taught in Dublin’s inner city for 15 years followed by a career in RTE as a reporter and presenter. She has developed a particular expertise in designing a range of business and management training programmes for the private and public sector. In her spare time she loves very slow running (aka jogging) with her friends, having friends over to dinner and reading anything she can get her hands on. Favourite food: Sea Food Paella eaten overlooking beach in Fuerteventura Favourite film: Shawshank Redemption Advice she once got that she wishes she hadn’t ignored: Just go for it!
- Sinéad O’DonnellAccount DirectorSinéad is an award-winning journalist and communications consultant. For more than a decade she worked as a journalist with many of the country’s biggest media organisations including Newstalk, TV3 (Virgin Media One) and the Sunday Times, to name but a few. Her extensive media contacts and deep knowledge of the media industry has proved extremely valuable to clients. As an experienced media and presentation skills trainer, Sinéad has worked with many leaders in the public and private sectors, helping them communicate more effectively to their audiences. In 2016, a campaign she created and implemented for the National Standards Authority of Ireland won ‘Best Public Sector Campaign’ at the Excellence in Public Relations Awards. Sinéad has a MA in Journalism from NUI Galway and a BA Honours Degree in Media Production and Anthropology from NUI Maynooth. Favourite movie: Anchorman Favourite food: Grilled chicken sandwich meal from Supermacs Advice she once got that she wishes she hadn’t ignored: Take the epidural!
- Áine RoddyAccount ManagerÁine holds a Masters degree in Public Relations from the DIT and a degree in Music and Geography from Maynooth University. With a passion for the performing arts, Aine can regularly be heard belting out a tune from one of her favourite West End shows or if the mood takes a classic 80’s power ballad! While at Carr Communications Áine has specialised in issue-based communications for some of our key public sector clients. On a day-to-day basis Áine assists key clients with media relations, stakeholder communication management, development and delivery of communications campaigns, event management, and social media strategy and content development. Áine finds it hard to trust people that don’t need caffeinated beverages to function and has made it her life goal to meet J.K. Rowling. Favourite Movie: Moulin Rouge Favourite food: Mammy Roddy’s Christmas Pudding! Advice she once got that she wishes she hadn’t ignored: Start your pension…
- Eddie ShawNon-Executive Chairman
Eddie is, by a distance, the aging ‘elder lemon’ of Carr Communications as he enters his forty-ninth year of business experience and variety. Thirty years gained primarily in the financial services sector where he held a number of senior positions across general insurance, life insurance, re-insurance, capital markets and fund management in Hibernian Group. He met Carr Communications as a client in 2002, joined in 2006 and came to realise the complementarity of risk management with communications in all of its varieties. Eddie has provided communications, dissemination, training, and development services to a number of public and private sector organisations in Ireland. Since 2009 he has led an enthusiastic and resilient European Projects Team through eleven EU research projects with responsibility for communication, dissemination and exploitation of project results. These projects covered a broad variety of activities such as Air Travel, Air Security and Safety, Crisis Management and Communications, Smart Manufacturing and the Circular Economy, Radiation Protection for Astronauts in Long Distance Space Travel, and Citizen Engagement in Environmental Research. Such is the scale, skills and experience of projects and people in Carr Communications. Eddie has a BComm and M.B.A. from University College Dublin and is an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute. He is married to Mary Pat, has four well grown young adults and three grandchildren. Surviving this life journey, so far, ranks as their greatest achievement. Favourite Movie/Book: A Man for All Seasons and Castaway Favourite Food: Mary Pat’s Lemon Soufflé Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn't ignored: You are the prisoner of everything you write (or say), and the master of everything you don’t.
- Frank SweeneySenior Consultant
Frank Sweeney joined with Carr Communications in 2000 to deliver training solutions in both interpersonal communications and management, including Personal Effectiveness, Influencing & Persuasion Skills, Performance Management, Negotiation Skills and various Communications Skills programmes, to numerous Government Departments and Agencies, as well as major organisations in the Private and Voluntary Sectors. For our Career Development area he also provides group and individual coaching to both Interviewees and Interview Boards. Prior to joining Carr Communications Frank spent almost thirty years working in senior management roles with major national and multinational organisations including Bon Secours Health System, the National Training and Development Institute and VHI. A Graduate of the Marketing Institute of Ireland with a Post Graduate Diploma in Strategic Market Planning, Frank also has a Masters in Business Administration (MBA), as well as a Certificate in Training and Continuing Education from NUI Maynooth and is accredited to work with the Booth Company 360° Assessment Tools. Favourite Movie: 12 Angry Men Favourite Food: Churros and Hot Chocolate sitting in Orange Square, Marbella Advise he once got that he wished he hadn’t ignored: It’s not what you think you are but what you think, you are.
- Stephen WalkerHead of DesignStephen joined the Digital Media Unit of Carr Communications in 2016 as it geared up to expand its operations in 2017. He holds a BSc (Honours) in product design from Dublin Institute of Technology and a Postgraduate Diploma (Honours) in Digital Media from the IACT, Dublin. Over the years, Stephen has gained a diverse background of experience, developing a broad range of digital media skills, both 2d and 3d. Prior to joining Carr Communications, Stephen spent five years designing merchandise for some of the world’s most iconic brands including Guinness, Lord’s Cricket, Titanic and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai among others. This has given him a keen insight into successful brand strategies and the design that goes into them. He also has extensive freelance experience across multiple sectors including web design, product design, architectural rendering and visual communication. In his free time, Stephen is most likely to be found playing sports, cooking and attempting to learn Spanish. Favourite Movie: The Intouchables Favourite Food: Fideuà Advice he was once given that he wishes he hadn't ignored: Don't swing backwards on your chair
- Dawn LonerganSenior Account ExecutiveDawn specialises in social media, website development, and event management at Carr Communications. She has worked across the political and NGO sectors, and has key experience in communicating technical information, and using data insights to drive content creation. Dawn has a BCL degree in Law with Politics from UCD and a MA in Public Affairs and Political Communication from DIT. Her masters research focused on political engagement with social media, post the 2014 Irish Marriage Equality referendum. From candle making to ukulele playing, Dawn likes to collect hobbies as well as reading books and keeping up to date with public affairs. Her claim to fame is that she was not named after any particular breath-taking sunrise, but after the 1986 Cheltenham Gold Cup Winner, Dawn Run. Favourite movie: 500 Days of Summer Favourite food: Christmas dinner Advice she once got that she wished she hadn’t ignored: Don't read late into the night with a torch, you will ruin your eyes.
- Pearse CorcoranSenior Account ExecutiveBorn in the States and raised in Ireland, Pearse worked in Media Buying in London before joining Carr Communications at the beginning of 2019. Prior to working in London, he began honing an interest in how the media worked. He was with the Irish Sun and worked in public relations for Teneo PSG. Known for his sultry tones, Pearse also worked in podcasting, helping present and produce the award-winning Gaelic Games podcast ‘GAA Scores’ from 2011 to 2017. His mastermind subject would be All Ireland winners or failing that a run down of the West Wing. Favourite movie: Michael Collins Favourite food: A pint of plain is your only man Advice he once got that he wishes he hadn’t ignored: Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens